Disney Storytelling App
Disney wanted to offer a way for families to tell & share their own stories. They set about prototyping variations before acquiring an iOS app with the desired functionality.
Disney tested the acquired app with prospective users which surfaced many usability issues. They brought me on to conduct a heuristic evaluation and redesign the underlying app structure and interaction design.
The project lasted 9 months and included a creative director, four visual designers and one other interaction designer.
Story App Before
Story App After
Notable design changes I introduced included:
- Limited modes. Rearrange & delete could be accessed directly from the story rather than a mode.
- Improved Scaleability. Introduced “+” to offer more scaleable solution for adding content.
- Leveraged the OS. Filmstrip replaced with standard iOS photo selection.
- Simplified sharing. Changed to familiar "compose" email structure.
Before finalizing the designs we were able to conduct usability testing with prospective users. In addition to working closely with the research recruiters, I created the study plan, ran the sessions and wrote up the final report. Notable findings:
- Some touch interactions weren't easily discovered.
- More themes and image editing options were desired.
- There was significant interest in sharing via Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Users did not want friends & family to be forced to register for Disney just to see their stories.
The redesigned application helped families create & share millions of stories. For several weeks, the application was the most downloaded app on iTunes.